Friday, August 18, 2006

I No Longer Call You Slaves

I have got some real trust issues. I really haven't trusted God much--if at all--and it shows in my life. I desperately need, yet again, to get myself into the confessional. Anyway, thinking about my failure to trust, it got me to thinking about Mother Angelica and how EWTN is celebrating it's 25th Anniversary in satellite television. It would not be happening if Mother didn't have a powerful trust in God. And then THAT got me thinking about a snippet of a speech given by Dr. Scott Hahn for EWTN's 25th Anniversary Celebration recently, on that very topic.

I haven't been watching much television lately, but I happened to catch the beginning of Dr. Hahn's speech. He started by praying the Our Father with the audience. Then he explained the meaning of it, starting with the very words "Our Father." To help us understand the great priviledge that is ours when we address God as "Father," Dr. Hahn told a story about a highly-educated Moslem man who was enraged and would not even continue the conversation, because he believed that Dr. Hahn had blasphemed! How? By calling God "Father" and by referring to Jesus as the "Son of God." The man insisted that we are only slaves, and that God does not love us except as His property--absolutely not as His children!

My heart aches for this man, for all Moslems, for all those who do not know they are beloved by their very God! From Jesus' own lips we have it that we a not mere slaves. No! We are His friends, so intensely loved that He willing laid down His life for us! And so intensely loved by God the Father that whatever we ask is done for us, so long as we remain united with Jesus! So long as we do as He commanded: Love Each Other!

Fear, lack of trust, lack of humility, lack of love . . . these are at the heart of the sins I confess over and over again. What excuse do I have? None. I just don't love Him enough. And it is so glaringly apparent that I am among those "who do not know they are beloved." I have trouble really believing it, really living it, even remembering it as I go about my daily life.

"If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, you shall ask whatever you will, and it shall be done unto you. In this is my Father glorified; that you bring forth very much fruit, and become my disciples. As the Father hath loved me, I also have loved you.

"If you keep my commandments, you shall abide in my love; as I also have kept my Father's commandments, and do abide in his love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and your joy may be filled. This is my commandment, that you love one another, as I have loved you. Greater love than this no man hath, that a man lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends, if you do the things that I command you.

"I will not now call you servants: for the servant knoweth not what his lord doth. But I have called you friends: because all things whatsoever I have heard of my Father, I have made known to you. You have not chosen me: but I have chosen you; and have appointed you, that you should go, and should bring forth fruit; and your fruit should remain: that whatsoever you shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you. These things I command you, that you love one another."--John 15:7-17


[Please, Lord, please . . . help me love You and love others in Your Name. You have chosen me and appointed me to go, so others can know how deeply they are loved by God. Help me to remain in you and bring forth good fruit, that the Father may be glorified! Lord Jesus, thank You for being my true Friend, and forgive my unfriendliness. Saint Faustina, pray for us; with you I say, "Jesus, I trust in You!"]

No comments: